Monday, March 7, 2011

Running



I can't wait until I can just run without stopping again.

I don't know what made me start running a few years back. Maybe it was because I couldn't run for so long with my old giant boobs? (I had a reduction in 2002) I did the Couch-to-5-K plan to start. Well, technically, I started and stopped a bunch of times, but eventually, I finished it and started running regularly.
I was never a very fast runner, but I liked distances and, for some reason, wanted a medal. I signed up for a half marathon that was set for November of 2007 in New Hampshire. I had stayed pretty true to a schedule I found on Hal Higdon's website, and was feeling confident that I'd be ready to go in November.
On a trip to Salem, MA, I noticed a sign for the Wicked half that was going to take place in September. I thought "Maybe I'll be ready by then" and then forgot about it for a bit. I came across the site for the race a week or so before the event and thought... maybe... The night before, I set and alarm and informed my boyfriend at the time that I was thinking about running a half the next day in Salem (even though I had only run 10 miles in a row before) and that as long as I was able to get up (damn you have to get up early on a Saturday for these things), I was doing it. His reply "I guess you're probably not doing it then, huh?" Well, that sure settled it, I was doing it. "Will you come and watch me cross the finish line?" I asked... the response included excuses about being bored waiting and not wanting to waste the morning, and some other junk. Alright then.
I got up at whatever ungodly hour it was, put on my running gear, and headed to Salem. I wasn't sure if I had what I needed, or too much, or what the hell I was really doing. I brought some safety pins to pin money, my car key, and my bib to my shirt, a sweat shirt in case it was cold, and my iPod (I know, I know, you're not supposed to). I signed up and had a long wait for the start. My bib number was 420. I took that as a good sign because I was currently involved in a production of Reefer Madness. "I think I'm going to finish this thing".
Towards the beginning of the race, I tried to keep up with a group that seemed to be going a steady pace, but ended up falling behind along the way. WHY didn't anyone remind me how many friggen hills are in Salem and Marblehead?! Oh right, because I only told one person I was even doing it.
The course was a loop around, so I figured since we ran UP so many hills, the second half would be easier. Not really. I don't think I remember running down hill for the entire race. At one point, I ran around a corner and was faced with another giant hill. I said, apparently out loud "oh, what the fuck!". The man next to me said "SERIOUSLY?!?!" At least I wasn't alone.
It wasn't all bad. It was a very pretty course with lots of cheering stations around. I discovered that gatorade and that goo stuff really do help.
I crossed the finish line in a respectable amount of time for someone that didn't train enough and I wasn't even close to being the last one. It was exciting and then kind of disappointing realizing I had no one there to share my victory with. I grabbed a bagel and got in my car.
I drove to visit my dad at work to show him my medal. It was a long ride to Natick and a painful exit from the car once I got there (Oh why didn't I stretch!?). "Dad, I got a medal today for running a half marathon!". "Oh cool... wait, what?" (I have to mention my dad was very proud once I explained and he was happy that my first stop after was to show him the medal)


I'm very proud of my half. I had come a long way from not being able to run for 2 minutes at a time. Also, due to a knee injury, I didn't get to do the half I signed up for that November... lame.


I just finished week 4 of the C25K program, and I really am looking forward to just running. My goal is to run in the Wicked Half again this fall, but to be more prepared. I'll get there. It's getting easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment