Friday, January 25, 2013

SURPRISE! You're running the Boston Marathon!

So I'm running the Boston Marathon.  In 12 weeks.


Let's go back... at the beginning of December, one of my Tabata participants told me that her son was Stoneham Theatre's marathon team captain.  I mentioned that I had wanted to run it with them, but thought it was too late.  She urged me to try anyhow.   I contacted the theater and found that they had just given away their third and final number.  Ah, well, next year.

Cut to last week.  I have a voicemail from Lynne at the theater asking if I still might be interested in running because a number may have become available.  Ah! Ok, yes, sure. I have a couple of days until they are sure of what's going on.  I take a look at the calendar- 12 and 1/2 weeks.  The training program I had planned on using was 18. Ok, I've been running a bit, but nothing crazy. 3-5ish miles when it's not crazy cold outside.  What would the longest run I would have had to run if I had been training? 10 miles.  Ok. That's more.  I figure "let's just run the 10 this weekend, just in case".

Last Saturday, I ran 10 miles!  It wasn't the fastest 10 miles I've ever run, but I was able to do it.  This is how it went down- Miles 1-7 amazing.  I tried to think of fundraising ideas, I took in the fresh air, I waved at runners I passed, it was great.  I did my 5 mile rout and decided that I would explore another way instead of running it again.  I go through Woburn center and run until I hit a rotary involving 128 and turn back.  I must have been at around 7.5 or 8 and that's when the wind kicked in. Holy crap it was cold.  Still felt ok... not too much longer to go... SO WINDY!  I made it. I even ran up the hill at the end of the run.  I felt pretty good.  I was fine the rest of the day and just needed to stop a couple of times to stretch.

10 miles is kind of a big deal for me. The first time I ran 10 miles all at once was in 2007.  I had just started running the fall before that and was training for a half marathon.  It was a struggle.  I remember getting home, walking up to the second floor (because of COURSE that's where I had to live that day) and just lying on the floor. I wanted to shower, I wanted to drink water, and I wanted to throw up, but I didn't think I could do any of those things so I just stayed there on the floor.  I think I stayed there for about an hour and a half.  I eventually got up, drank water, and showered (I did NOT throw up).  Luckily, that has not happened again.

Me after that first 10 miles


The farthest distance I've ever run has been a half marathon.  I do wonder if there will be a new distance that causes the "I'm just going to lay here on the floor for a while" method of recovery.

Tuesday is when I was told the last number for the Stoneham team was mine and Thursday, I went down to the theater to officially fill out the paperwork.  I'm running this thing.  For real.  Sunday will be my first ever group training run.  I'm terrified.  It's the morning after closing night of Sunset Boulevard and we're hosting the cast party. I think that means I'm drinking soda and going to bed while the cast party continues in my living room.


One other thing that terrifies me is the amount of fundraising I will need to do.  If you are able or know anyone else that is, please feel free to donate!  Stoneham Theatre is such a wonderful place!  They are the leading professional theatre north of Boston and were voted as the fifth largest performing arts organization in Greater Boston.  At Stoneham, you can see musicals, dramas, concerts, and an amazing youth company education program!  Please donate to help them continue to bring the arts to this area!

CLICK HERE TO DONATE! And check back for updates on my training!

"Woman's World" from The Full Monty at Stoneham Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment