Monday, May 21, 2012

Pumpkin Chili! (Simply Filling and Vegan Friendly)

So I mentioned that I felt myself slipping a little bit last week. Saturday, I decided to try the Simply Filling Technique that Weight Watchers offers.  I had a lot of success when they had the similar Core program, so I figured, why not! Some of the rules have changed, but it seems like for the better.  I have never attempted Simply Filling (or Core) as a vegan, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go. So far so good!

The first day I was actually shooting with Malarkey Films on their submission for the 48 Hour Film Project in Boston.  I wasn't sure how it would work food wise, and I hadn't been prepared grocery-wise at home.  First I had to teach a Zumba class in the morning and then we ran over to the film location. I just grabbed some fruit on the way and figured I'd figure it out.  Luckily, they provided some amazing food including tofu, fruit, and veggies for lunch and vegan chili for dinner.  Oh- and if you are wondering, we made a buddy comedy, post apocalyptic musical.  I can't wait to see it on Thursday!

Anyhow- I thought I'd share the recipe I threw together for dinner tonight. I guess it's a Pumpkin Chili.  I'm so sorry that I don't measure anything...

Olive Oil
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Cinnamon
Cumin
Corriander
Sriracha
Onions (I used two medium red and two small yellow)
Green Peppers (one and a half)
1 can of Pinto Beans
1 can of Chick Peas
1 can of Diced Tomatoes
1 can of Pumpkin



I forgot to take a picture of the chili powder...
I think you'll be ok, though
Pumpkin and Tomatoes

These are the beans that were in my cabinet

I started by dicing the onions and sweating them in a large pot with some olive oil and salt. Note- I totally would have started with fresh minced garlic, but I didn't have any, so I added garlic powder later.

Onions
I added the green peppers and let them cook through a while

Diced peppers

I added the canned tomatoes and some chili powder. I have no method to this... 


I threw in both cans of beans (pinto and garbanzo) and the pumpkin. And then random amounts of spices.... I will say I accidentally threw in a bunch of cinnamon, but it ended up being pretty amazing.


Just picture this with some brown rice.


I didn't get a picture of the plated product, but it really doesn't matter. As I said in a previous post, most things I make look the same.  Some sort of grain with a scoop of whatever random thing I've made.






No comments:

Post a Comment